Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lonely with Friends.

This isn't a pity post or a way of extracting more attention from people close with me. I'm just in a interesting mood today that has helped me rediscover something. Have you ever felt like this? Have you ever felt like you were surrounded by people you love and yet at the same time, felt kind of lonely? My wife and I have had this conversation numerous times before and I'm glad we did. I don't know that I would have brought this up with anyone if I didn't think anyone else ever felt this way. I feel weak and foolish when I get like this. I feel kind of like I shouldn't be so selfish and learn to just be content. However, feeling lonely within the proximity of loved ones reminds me of something else entirely today as well. We are created with a deep need to be near our Creator. The reason we are created like this is because He wants to be near us. The longing for relationship here is deep in our souls like a dry and thirsty seed well within the very center of desert. I really believe that there is a level of relational need that no human can meet for another human. I don't think this is an accident or fluke either. I think God has given us a hunger to be near him because He is hungry to be near his people and meet this need. As uncomfortable as moments of loneliness can be, may they be a reminder that the One who created us is constantly pursuing and desiring the company of his beloved children.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Right on, dude! I seriously JUST had the SAME dilemma and came to the SAME conclusion! God is good!

Andrew Manion said...

I get that way more than you can imagine. honestly, if it weren't for my mom and a few others, I almost doubt if I'd have survived grades 8 through 10.

eweidenaar said...

Hey there. Just connected to your blog from Chris and Meg's and thought I'd add my two cents. I hate the feeling of being alone when with my closest friends. I think it is often a result of feeling misunderstood or somehow different. This is the most isolating and lonely feeling in the world because it comes about when you are with the people who know you and love you best...and they still don't "get" you. For me, I try to use it as something to strengthen my faith. I have the knowledge that there is a God who knows me intimately. He "gets" me because he created me. He loves me exactly the way I am because he created me for his purposes.