Monday, June 2, 2008

4.5 Days and Counting...


This Friday afternoon I'm playing at our local festival in Grand Rapids and I'm debuting material from my concept album, "The Search for the Great Cachalot". I couldn't be more nervous. Now, I play in front of people all the time but it's usually either worship songs on a Sunday morning with a bunch of people singing with me or playing rock music in a club somewhere. The funny thing is, this is different. I'm really putting myself out there. There is no band to hide behind. All of the material is mine alone. My words, my ideas, my insecurities. I am looking forward to it however, even if there are only two people there. (I really do hope that there's more!) Anyway, it's easy to do a lot of things that make it look like you are really being vulnerable and forced to take risks but then you are presented with an opportunity that pulls away the curtain and reveals who you really are. That is if you are willing to step up to the plate. I would love to know where others have been challenged similarly through various opportunities. Thoughts?

P.S. If anyone in the area is interested, I'm playing on the "Outer Fringe" stage at Michigan and Monroe from 3:15 to 4:00 for the Grand Rapids Festival of the Arts.

No comments: